B.Tech., IT BHU 1980
General Management Program, CEDEP, INSEAD France
Challenges of Leadership, INSEAD, France.
Over the years, I have been in several leadership roles and have led and shaped several initiatives that have contributed significantly to Tata Steel’s competitive advantage in the marketplace:
I have led and managed businesses and functions driving customer-focus and value delivery in each of my roles.
1980 Joined Tata Steel as Graduate Trainee
1982-1983 Started as Research Engineer in R&D.
1983-1986 Worked as Process Control Metallurgist ensuring Quality Control and Assurance across all production functions.
1986-1992 Worked at various levels and locations in Sales and Marketing handling Special Products, Application Engineering and Customer support.
1992-1995 Worked in Sales Planning & Production and involved in restructuring and creation of the Sales Planning function.
1995-1996 Worked as Commercial Manager in MD’s Office co-coordinating all commercial functions for the MD.
1996-1999 Worked on restructuring and creating a single window entity to ensure order fulfillment encompassing Sales Planning, Production Control and Production Scheduling.
1999-2002 Worked on restructuring and optimizing the Out-bond Supply Chain for Tata Steel which encompassed two major initiatives –
– Restructuring the supply network to optimize cost and service.
– Restructuring the sales function with a focus to create a Brand and Channel strategy.
2002-2005 > Merged Tata Special Steels into Tata Steel to create a new SBU called Wire Division. A loss making unit was restructured and transformed into a robust profit making unit and achieved volume growth to place itself amongst the top 10 wire companies globally.
2005-2008(Sept.) Worked as Principle Executive Officer with the Managing Director, managing the back office, including the public and political interface. Also was placed in charge of the proposed new 12 million tonne green field steel plant at Jharkhand.
2008 Sept - 2010 Worked as Vice President (Corporate Services) handling Corporate functions including Corporate Social Services, Corporate Affairs & Communications, Government Relations and liaison, Legal, Administration, Town and Medical Services.
2010-2012 Worked as Vice President (Raw Materials) including Global Mineral Resources - All aspects of Raw Material functions were consolidated under one head for the first time. Handled multiple lease renewals, public hearings, several mineral projects startup in India and abroad. Drove sustainable mining and was part of the new paradigm shift towards sustainability. Extensive advocacy representing the Company’s view points on the new MMRD Act, mineral allocation and Land Reform Act.
2012 – 2014 Worked as Vice President of Raw Materials and Iron Making. The iron making function was integrated in the Raw Material supply chain with a view to maximizing synergy, minimising costs and miximising life of captive resources and introduce concepts of word class mining in association with BCG, IUCN and such organizations.
2014 – Oct 2015 Chief Executive Officer, SREI Natural Resources Ltd, Kolkata. Responsible for creating a mineral portfolio for the SREI group.
Oct 2015-Oct 2017 President, Dolvi and Salav Works, JSW Steel
Oct 2017-till date President, Corporate Services, JSW Steel
• Chairman of following Profit Centers of Tata Steel:
– Ferro Alloys & Minerals Division
– Secondary Products
• Chairman of the following Companies:
– TM International Logistics Limited (A Tata-NYK-Martrade JV)
– Tata Steel Minerals Canada Limited
– Tata Steel Cote d’ Ivoire, SA
– Black Ginger 461 Pty Ltd, South Africa
– Sedibeng Iron Ore Pty Ltd., South Africa
– Tata Steel KZN (Proprietary) Limited (TSKZN)
– Al Rimal Mining LLC, Oman
– TM Mining Company Limited
• Past Chairman of Jharkhand CII Chapter.
• Member on the Board of Directors of:
- Tata Pigments
– Jamshedpur Utilities Co Ltd (JUSCO)
– Indian Steel & Wire Products (ISWP)
– S&T Mining Co Pvt Ltd
– Tata Steel Global Mineral Holdings Ptd Ltd., Hong Kong
– New Millennium Iron, Canada
– Tata Steel Minerals U K Ltd., UK
– Federation of India Mineral Industries
– JSW Steel USA